Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Explosions at the U.T. Tower

I was just startled from my work by a running volley of explosions coming from south of the U.T. Austin Tower, where I work. I had no idea what they were, but they were coming fast and furious, echoing off of neighboring buildings and making themselves very clearly heard from my north facing office on the 25th floor. I went to the south-facing windows in our elevator lobby / conference room to find that the brilliant explosions were occurring directly outside of our windows. If I'd opened one of the windows (it's an old building, so we do have windows that open), the smoke and burning projectiles would have come right in. As it was, I could hear material pelting the window.

It turns out that the campus was staging a fireworks display for some event being held down on the South Mall, below the tower. The fireworks were being launched almost straight-up the length of the Tower and were bursting at heights ranging from the 25th floor and up. Until you've seen fireworks from inside the exploding balls of color, believe me, you have not seen fireworks.

Had I only known this was going to happen, I'd've brought proper camera equipment. As is, you'll have to settle for the vague impression shown above, which was captured by the camera in my iPhone through our permanently grungy windows.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:31 PM CDT

    Cool, guess that woke you up enough to snap the photo! Glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:59 AM CST

    Now I'd wish I'd been there. That would be a great scene in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:08 PM CST

    i was in my office at the time as well. it freaked me out and i was nearly half a mile away.

    i tried to snap a few shots, but missed it for the most part. until now, i didn't know the reasons for the fireworks.

    pj

    ReplyDelete